- 1 pound small beetroots (about 7 beets)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Leave the root and 1-inch of the stem on the beetroots and scrub with a brush to clean.
- Place in a medium saucepan and cover the beetroots with water.
- Bring to a boil before placing a lid on the pan. Reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and rinse with cold water under the tap.
- Now cut off the roots and rub the skins off.
- Thinly slice the cooked beetroot and place in a large bowl.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and bring this to a boil.
- Once boiling, cook for 5 minutes then remove from heat and stir in salt, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- Pack the beetroot into sterilised jars and then pour over the hot vinegar mixture. Put the lid on the jar and wait!
- The beetroots will be ready to eat in 1-2 weeks, or longer, if you like.